Wednesday, September 26, 2012

I Must Be Weird

Okay, so for a long time now it seems like any time I get a sickness or disease that it can't be the Flu / Broken Arm / Common Cold but things like Broken Collar Bone / Bunyonette / Cold Sores (all things that I've had in the past).

  Well, the latest edition is that I broke out in Shingles on my back for no reason at all.  They say it could be caused by stress / low immune system / no real reason at all!

  For those of you who don't know (I didn't) once you've had chicken pox the virus can settle into your spine and then on occasions such as this it can just come to the surface.  I'd been itching for about a week and then on Friday (after helping my in-laws pack up to move - service scar for sure) big bumps started to form.  Kevin took one look and said he thought it was shingles because he had then when he was a teenager (where do we get these things?).

  On Monday morning I went to the doctor to confirm the diagnosis.  It is just below my left shoulder blade so I can avoid hitting it a lot (except that is where my bra sits) but it hurts like the dickens.  They say it shouldn't be contagious unless someone who has never had chicken pox comes in direct contact with the...wait for it...puss.  So if anyone wants their child to get the chicken pox I am your girl (at least for 7-10 more days).

The picture I included here is an example of what mine looks like (not an actual picture of me).  I'm told that in a few days they will burst and then scab over...totally gross!!

I'm sure it could be worse but next time I'd just like to get a cold like everyone else!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the club!
    I got shingles a couple of years ago--completely out of nowhere! Yes, I was stressed, but not any more than I usually am. It was crazy. I was lucky and caught it early, so it cleared up pretty fast, but I'm always afraid it is going to come back again. I think there's a picture of mine on facebook.
    Hope you get feeling better soon!
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete